Perhaps you’ve heard our musical chimes that ring out four times a day, or perhaps you’re only curious about “that Church on the Corner”. No matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you are always welcome at One Prez! You will find us warm, conversational, and interested in sharing what we have with you. We are energized by children, youth, and adults and we are inspired by our music, meditations, big screen videos, and Scripture-based messages. We’re thrilled that you’ve come to visit our website to learn more, and we hope that you’ll visit us in person, if you haven’t already.
The watercolor of the church is by Marybeth Heikes, twsa, copyright 2014.
What We Believe: We Believe the good news of the gospel. We believe in hope and inspiration, and we believe in love of God and Neighbor. We seek to know God, and our journey leads us to explore, question, and discover our faith in him.
We are Open And Affirming: Anyone arriving here experiences a warmth reflected by our people. They see people who like each other, perhaps even love each other. We welcome and affirm that women and men of all ages, races, ethnicity, and worldy conditions are made one in Christ by the power of the Spirit.
Ways We Share What We Have:
- Prayers: We pray for each other, for our community, our world and we will pray for you upon request.
- Blessings: Know someone who is bereaved, has a lingering illness or could just use a special blessing? We will make a prayer shawl, the congregation will bless it and we’ll give it to them as a reminder that someone cares.
- Visits: Know someone who could use a gentle and smiling face? We’ll visit and encourage them.
- Our building: We love sharing our beautiful, historic building with the community. It’s also available for weddings, funerals, baptism and other special events.
- Time: We give our time to the Lord’s Cupboard, the Summer Lunch Programs, Nursing Homes, Vacation Bible School, Pancake Day and other special events.
- Talents: We give our talents to help others. We volunteer to keep the church alive and functional because we believe we have something to offer that other churches don’t. We are open and accepting and we encourage all to worship with us. Additionally, we offer our musical, teaching, financial and staffing skills to various community functions.
- Money: We give to individuals, our church, our community and to the world in need.
- Supplies: We purchase Back to School supplies for SEIDA and other special needs programs.
How we Function: This Presbyterian congregation is fabulous and functioning. We have people who take their board and committee assignments very seriously. We have individuals who are doing their own ministry perhaps even unknown to others. But we are involved in the mission of the church. Each church of Presbyterian (USA) is governed by the ruling elders and teaching elders call presbyters, thus we get our name.
Our History: Centerville First Presbyterian was the first church to begin meeting in the new City of Centerville about 165 years ago. Worshipers gathered for Sunday school in just the second building built in the town. A few years later in 1851, the church was chartered with twelve members and the first building was completed one block south of the Centerville square. This first building was replaced by two other structures until our current church building was built in 1893! Our trustees have lovingly maintained our building and it is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a marvelous example of Queen Anne architecture-the only one in the area. The amazing double arch sanctuary features original pressed tin ceilings and plaster cherubs. During worship we are bathed in amazing sunlight through the impressive stained glass windows. Enormous solid wood and glass doors slide back opening into the equally amazing Fellowship Hall with it’s high wooden balcony, lounge, and coffee area.